mail: The Nevis Humane Society-Friends of the ARK
Po Box 350, Charlestown, Nevis
telephone: (869) 762-4357
A Letter to Members of the Nevis Ark
As of November 20, 2006, The Nevis ARC has changed its name to The Nevis Humane Society-Friends of the ARK. We now have a governing Board.
The 2010 Board Members are:
Diane Hallstrom, Bonnie Berlinghof, Barbara Frazier, Karen Koch, Clara Walters & Richard Lupinacci.
We feel strongly that public funds be managed by a voting board and membership roster. The Nevis Animal Rescue Center was first formed in October of 1998, to “fund and provide medical assistance to injured or sick animals that were strays or belonging to low income citizens”.
It is a common misconception that the Government of Nevis contributes financially to the ARK Spay & Neuter program and to the ARK medical services performed by Dr. Patricia Bartlette. This is not the case, as the full expense is covered by ARK with funds generated through the generosity of our donors as well as our fundraisers.
• To continue the original purpose set forth in 1998; to fund and provide medical assistance to sick animals or strays on Nevis-that belong to low income citizens. To continue to care for animals that are homeless adopting them out whenever possible.
• To immediately apply for non-profit status here on Nevis and in the USA. This will allow us to apply for grants abroad and give us duty free concessions. -UPDATE Non Profit Status granted 2009
• To emphasize the importance of a spay/neuter program through education, public awareness and incentives and the continued subsidization of stray animals and those animals belonging to low income individuals.
• To educate and support at every level, the importance of kindness and care of an animal, and to act against animal abuse.
• To support the existing laws against dog fighting, through reporting, education and public awareness.
• To encourage and support home based animal rescue centers and those who will foster an animal temporarily.
• We intend to continue with the good works that have been accomplished over the years; our successful Taste of Nevis for example- held in March.
• Thirty percent of our income historically (since 1998) has been set aside for building a permanent Rescue Center. We also see a desperate need for additional veterinary services as the Nevis Island vet can spay & neuter for ARK -Tuesday mornings only. Now that ARK has Non-Profit status, we will be applying for a grant for a Mobile Clinic which will be able to bring veterinary services out into the villages.
• We would like to re-institute the payment of yearly membership dues thereby allowing us to better budget our upcoming programs and expenses.
Accounting: Our finances are now on Quick Books enabling us to better track our expenses.
• An emergency phone number has been set up for animal emergencies to direct people to an ARK volunteer who will advise as to where one can take an injured or sick animal and/or stray. This can be more involved and costly if Dr. Bartlett is not available as it involves a trip to Ross in St Kitts, although phone consultations are available at Ross. The ARK Emergency Number is: 762-HELP (4357) and is available 24 hours daily. We thank Digicel for donating this cell phone, along with limited free time monthly, for the next year.
• Choice Radio 105.3 FM has kindly been announcing adoptions on a weekly basis and has also offered Ark air time on their radio station, all free of charge. Do listen in to Choices!
• Our donation box is located in Island Fever in Charlestown. Your donations may also be sent to:
Friends of the Ark/Nevis Humane Society
PO Box 350
We are always in need of volunteers -even if it is for a short time or on a limited basis. We welcome your ideas and/or suggestions in our effort to ease the lives of our Nevis animals.